burst filenames config

Oct 23, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Neat software.

I know of several reports with hundreds of pages, one record per page, where the burst option would do double wonderful if one could make it choose the file name from a given line, column and length, relative to each start of page. That way the record number, or name, or item, being at the same place relative to the page start, would be represented at the name of the file.

Or is it easier to develop a new utility able to rename a PDF file within those parameters after a burst?

Fernando

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2010 at 7:31 AM

Thanks Fernando.

Your request is not so simple to implement. You should know how the lines and columns are rendered and this is out of the scope of pdfrider.

However, I made a similar function for another (private) software, based on a textual representation of the page. It could be difficult to generalize, but I could think about it, even if I haven't much time at the moment...

Francesco

Oct 27, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Hi Francesco

No difficulties or time consuming options intended :-) perhaps the burst could get the files names from a file then.

That way using http://www.colorpilot.com/pdf2text-command-line.html and doing some post processing at the text one could make a list with names for each PDF single page produced by the burst function. Please have no pressure for doing this soon, or ever. Just showing interest on such hypothesis :-) for when/if you find it fun to implement. 

Fernando

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Your suggested solution is the same as the one I told you in the previous post.

My first idea is to show the txt file to the user. The user can then specify the part of text (line number, character position and length) to use as file name.

This could not be an easy to use function for the end user, but, of course, it could be implemented as an advanced feature. ;-)

I can not think about a better solution at the moment.