Merging pages limited to 26

Nov 24, 2010 at 1:40 AM

Great program - thanks.

I have several PDFs that I actually paid for :-O and discovered too late that they were time-limited.

PDFRider did an excellent job of pulling them out. One is 69 pages so stitching back together as 3 files is ok, but another is about 500 pages :-(

Is there an insurmountable reason why merging of individual pages is limited to 26? No problem if there is. Just have to do 25 at a time - easier to keep track of than 26 :-)

Regards

Coordinator
Nov 25, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Thanks for the appreciation.

The limit depends on how pdftk (the underlying tool that do the real job) handles input pdf files. For advanced operations, it assigns each file a single letter, so you can have up to 26 input files!

I can't fix it couse it is not relative to my program, but to pdftk. Sorry.

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:12 PM
Hi Francescot

Thanks for that - I guess the "26" should have been a clue to arriving at the answer myself :-)

I also realised that if I ended up with 11 PDFs, each with 26 merged pages, I could then merge these and end up with a single file of the original length. This worked well with a document that had a huge amount of graphics along with the text, but the process was slow, on a 2.2Ghz PC with 3.5Gb of memory, so in my case the limitation turned out to be wise.
If I had done what I wanted to do, it would probably have taken all day, if it didn't crash in the process :-)

Regards,

Martin Clark
NQ Australia

To: [email removed]
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 07:02:20 -0800
Subject: Re: Merging pages limited to 26 [pdfrider:235811]

Thanks for the appreciation.
The limit depends on how pdftk (the underlying tool that do the real job) handles input pdf files. For advanced operations, it assigns each file a single letter, so you can have up to 26 input files!
I can't fix it couse it is not relative to my program, but to pdftk. Sorry.
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (pdfrider@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email pdfrider@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Mar 19, 2014 at 9:32 AM
Why don't you try this tool to merge any number of PDF documents into one!